7/23/12

Judge Not...

Just having a moment tonight when I feel I need to get something off my chest. Stop Judging! Like now! I know we all are guilty of doing it. Sometimes without even thinking or realizing that we are passing judgement and really we just need to knock it off and mind our own business. What brought this all on you might ask? Well... tonight I made a comment on facebook that I was looking forward to Rod being off work this week and that I couldn't wait to be done with this "nonsense" of him working overnights. Now I had my friend's mom (that I am obviously fb friends with) chide me for calling Rod's job nonsense and told me I should be grateful he has a job. And this sort of got my blood boiling. I have always really liked the woman who made the comment. But she lives in another town and really hasn't had any interaction with me in the last 6 years. She has no idea the toll it takes on my marriage and our family to have Rod work an overnight 55 hour a week schedule. And I understand there are A LOT of jobs in the world that require odd hours, are stressful, etc. I was just simply expressing MY frustration with what I am dealing with. And so often what we are going through is not "what we signed up for". When Rod started working for Walmart it was understood that when you become a Co-Manager you have a normal schedule and no longer have to do an overnight shift. It was THE incentive of getting promoted (even more than the pay raise). You put in your time as an assistant doing the crap stuff and as you move up you have more responsibility but at least a better quality schedule. This all of course changed company wide about 2 months after Rod was promoted. We were grateful for the promotion but so devastated to learn that there would be no improvement in his schedule after years of sacrifice. Anyway, her comment did do what I am sure she intended and made me feel guilty for complaining. I don't really understand why she felt like scolding me. It made me feel hurt and defensive. It made me want to say "Hey, that's not what I meant!" . Unfortunately, no matter how many emoticons they invent there is no way to add your true intent and tone into what you write on a social media site. What you say can always be taken in a way you did not intend. SO... tonight I would just like to put out there into the universe that we should be careful not to judge. You never know why someone is venting their frustration or why they picked a certain word to use to describe it. I am remembering that as I think of this woman and wondering if maybe she is experiencing some heart ache or sensitivity that made her lash out at me. I am so grateful that Rod has a job. But I don't feel like it's easy and I do feel like anyone can find A JOB. Rod would work anywhere and do anything to provide for us. I couldn't ask for a better husband in that area! That is also why it's so hard sometimes to watch his body and health deteriorate because of it. He deserves better. But that's a conversation for another day. Just remember the next time you want to say something to someone please take a moment to think about why you are doing it and what effect it might have... Chelsea

1 comment: